Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Belizean Blood Bank


Well we are officially settled into Ak'bol. I must say that this is quite different than Pedro's. It is very quiet on this side of the island. Before, we were on the south end a little closer to town. We are now over the bridge on the north end. There is not much on this side besides construction for fancy condos and resorts. It is a nice change though.

Ak'bol is a yoga resort. I have indulged in two sessions and am loving it. The classes are taught over the water on a gorgeous dock. The owners Kirsten and Emilio are still working on the place. When the resort is done I am sure that this will be paradise. It is beautiful already. Like I mentioned before there is no AC or TV. We have been finding creative ways to fill our time and doing lots of school.

The one drawback to this side of the island are the voracious bloodsucking animals known as mosquito. I can officially say that I have donated my fair share since returning to San Pedro. If they don't kill me then the Deet will. But it is the price we pay for solitude and beauty I guess.

We have all rented bikes and that is another story. I never realized how dangerous San Pedro could be until I tried riding a bike here. Beware of sand that looks like road. It is virtually impossible to maneuver a bike while going through 4 inches of sand! I have almost bit it a couple of times but so far so good. Another danger here are the dogs! They are completely desensitized to traffic of any kind. By that I mean they will not, I repeat NOT, move for anything or anyone. They lay in the road and expect that people, bikes, and golf carts move. And we do but it can get scary at times. Another hazard that I ran into today are the wee bikers. I think children here learn to ride a bike at the age of two (with no training wheels). I ran into a wee one today and it was like a drunk driver! I almost ran him over, he was swerving all over the place. On a bike you must also be aware of other bikers, walkers, and the crazy taxis that will run you over. Oh yeah, one last danger: the elusive pot hole. They blend in but they are there and they will either send you flying or bruise your butt.

As mentioned before, this week we have all been trying to get work done. I spent all day (well most of it ;)) working on my inquiry project. The vacation is over! Next week we go back of school and then it is back to reality. I am ready though, I miss Wilmington (if you can believe that).

No comments:

Post a Comment