Monday, March 23, 2009

First Day of School

Today was our first full day at the school with the students. I was surprised with the classes and then again I was not, if that makes sense. I am beginning to see that these students and teachers are so similar here to the ones back home. The kids are crazy and full of energy. The teachers are trying to teach and write lesson plans and stress just like teachers back home. The classes here are shorter, only 45 minutes long and there are 8 classes a day. Another thing that is different is that when the bell rings the teachers move rooms, not the students. Students are in the same class with the same kids all day. The lack of resources at their disposal is also another difference. There are no power points and very few, if any, handouts. Most of the lesson is done on chalkboards and the students take notes in a composition book. There seems to be a lot discussion in class and the kids seem to be involved in their lessons.

I sat in a chemistry class where they were starting on environmental chemistry. I also sat in 4 life skills classes. This is a class that teaches children positive behaviors in their school and home life. Tomorrow I will get to see the biology classes as well as the chemistry and life skills. The students were very receptive and extremely curious about us. The kitchen staff made us the fish that we caught on Saturday. They topped it with a tomato, onions, and habenero and it was served with tortillas. The best meal by far! After school we sat in on a staff meeting. Yet again the similarities were striking. The principal was reminding teachers of certain things and they discussed children in their classes and issues that they were facing. The schools seem to be the same but I am sure that there are differenes that I am not noticing yet. Here are some goals while I am here in Belize: One, to see and understand how Belizean culture influences educational standards and more importantly, motivation for students. Two, to see how resources, or lack of, can effect how education is carried out in a developing country as compared to USA. Third, to see how Belizean schools carry out science instruction as compared to NC. And lastly, I hope to increase global awareness in students that I will have in the future with the experiences that I gain in Belize. I hope that reach these goals while I am here and find some answers to these questions. I want to be able to compare and contrast the educational systems back home and here.

After our staff meeting we walked back to Pedro's where we were interviewed by the local paper. I am not sure when the story comes out but I am excited to see it. Later we met with 4 of the teachers and they took us to a local taco stand where I tried empanadas. Delicious! Can you tell I am digging the food here way too much? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment